There are several ways to transport heat from a hot body to a cold body:It is often said that perfection is not of this world. This is certainly true when choosing a heating system. Despite everything, we can say that radiant heating is the one that brings us the closest to an ideal situation.
The radiant hydronic heating system uses hot water. A boiler ensures the production of hot water. Subsequently, this water is distributed in a closed circuit piping system, usually embedded in the floor. The heat accumulated in the floor acts as a radiant panel which ensures an even distribution of heat in the room. As the heat emanates from the ground, which acts as a thermal mass, this ensures a uniform distribution of heat at floor level.
Here are the advantages of a hydronic heating system, according to the Corporation of Master Pipe Mechanics of Quebec:
- Hydronic heating offers excellent energy efficiency. It saves 10-20% of the costs associated with traditional technologies.
- Since there are no hot, dry air currents causing variations in humidity and temperature, the system adjusts precisely to the desired locations.
- The radiant heat is uniform, constant and pleasant. No more places that are too hot or too cold. In addition, the operation of the system is completely silent.
- By adding a domestic water heater to the hydronic system, hot water will always be plentiful for daily needs.
- Radiant heating means more sanitation and less housekeeping due to the lack of a fan to push dust particles into rooms.
- Renovations and modernizations are easy. Radiant heating piping can be installed in walls or ceilings, behind the dry wall.
- Hydronic heating makes it easy to add additional functions, such as defrosting the outdoor entrance, installing heated towel rails or even heating the outdoor pool.
- Converting an electric baseboard system to hydronic heating is easy, requiring little work.
- Hydronic baseboards and wall panels are simple and easy to integrate into the decor.
- A hydronic system distributes heat through PEX tubing. These pipes are anticorrosive, resistant to shocks, crushing and pressure. They require no cleaning or filters. They do not require any care.